Friday 26 August 2016

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BREAKFAST

 
Today was my brother's birthday; he turned 13 years old. Although 13 isn't as widely celebrated as some other birthdays- for example a sweet 16, turning 18, turning 21, hitting 40 years old etc- I would still consider it a special birthday.
Turning 13 years old marks the beginning of your teenage life. You are no longer a child that needs to be protected from the big bad world, but a teenager that is  transitioning into the world of adult responsibilities (don't worry, you won't be expected to start paying bills and what have you). You begin to go out more with your friends, make more plans and (the worst of all) get sucked into the black hole that is the internet.
To celebrate my brother's special day I decided to throw him a Birthday Breakfast. It's slightly unconventional and different than your regular birthday party. It was small and quiet but it didn't have to be big and in your face as I was only filling in for my mother and father who both had to work; they can sort out the real celebrations later.
I got up early (I'm an early riser anyway so this wasn't an issue) and headed downstairs to get everything set up. I got the helium balloon from the cupboard it was hidden in, retrieved the bag of goodies from my car and set everything out on plates.
Then it was time to make the pancakes, at which point I realised we had no eggs and had to pop to the shop in a shabby outfit and bed hair (I will post the recipe for the pancakes at a later stage perhaps). Once the pancakes were done I topped it off with a little flag, lit some candles and was just waiting for my sister and her boyfriend to arrive.
My brother woke shortly after and was delighted with his small breakfast party (he said he will plan one for me when I turn 18 this year)and took no time at all in getting stuck into opening his presents (money in a card from my sister, a scratch card in a card from my sister's boyfriend and an electric toothbrush from me).
It was such an enjoyable way to spend a birthday and he's invited his friends around to the house and they're going to the amusements later tonight.
This morning has shown me that you really don't have to go all out to celebrate someone's birthday, sometimes the little things you do really do mean the world to people and that truly warms my heart.
Until next time...
C.


No comments:

Post a Comment